Friday, February 13, 2009

KSPC 88.7

I caught KSPC, the College's local radio station, Spring Blowout show tonight, or at least the latter half of it. I haven't made it to one of these things in years so I was happy to at least be present, but also for the mother-father, baby-in-attendence duo Faun Fables rocking the stage, trash drums in full swing (I have got to start taking pictures to post on this thing).

I did miss Pitzer's own Fitness, part of the larger Rainbow Destroyer Collective, which, if you've never seen, is quite simply a trip; they take themselves literally, putting on a "post-modern" performance a la Jane Fonda.

Anyway, in continuing to lay the explanatory groundwork for the larger alternative Claremont life, KSPC 88.7 "The Space" is a jewel not to be missed. You can pick them up POR GRATIS online anywhere on the planet, or during the rare ocassion you find yourself in a car, or pretty much on anything in the Claremont area that picks up a radio signal as they drown out nearly all stations on the low range of the FM bandwidth; but hey, it's quite nearly the best damn radio station you'll come across.

Today was the station's 53rd birthday and they've just started a pretty sweet blog to keep you updated on the constant flow of cool shit they provide to the community, usually at low or no cost.

It's always been a strange dream of mine to kind of fall into a rut in life, place some bad bets or something, and end up with absolutely nothing. Only then I'll come crawling back to Claremont, march down to the KSPC bunker of a station, and revitalize my being with a radio show (which I'm pretty sure is open to any and all community members) where I'll play recordings I've made of all the libre adventures I have sneaking into dining halls, or hauling dumpster dived groceries across town, or taking classes for free.

Anarchist dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment